At Sierra Institute for Community and Environment the safety of our P-CREW members, field and office staff are of the utmost importance. Our leadership team is dedicated to addressing the impact of COVID-19 on our summer program. We are in the initial stages of developing a response and will continue to update information regarding our program plans. The Sierra Institute is adhering to California’s COVID-19 Response guidelines as staff is currently working remotely. If you have any questions regarding our response plans, please email us at email@example.com
Q: When will you know for sure if you are running the P-CREW program this summer?
A: We are currently planning on running our full program unless there are government mandates that restrict group activities and a continued order to shelter-in-place. As this situation constantly evolves, our leadership team will monitor regulations and review our ability to safely run programs. We expect a final decision will be made by May 15, 2020.
Q: If my child signs up for session 1 and it is canceled, but you are able to run session 2 can they switch?
A: If session one is canceled, participants can only switch sessions if we have open spots. If no opening is available, we will place them on a priority list for summer 2021.
Q: Are the dates flexible?
A: We are doing our best to keep the session dates the same as we have a short time frame in the summer to run two, five-week sessions without interfering with school schedules. We will inform you if this changes.
Q: How do I know my child will be protected from COVID-19?
A: Our leadership team is excited to share that we are able to test participants as soon as they arrive in Taylorsville. The local hospital has been successful in acquiring testing kits and will send a health care professional to administer the testing on site. Results should take no more than two hours and will be shared with Sierra Institute staff. This will help us further the safety of participants, staff, project partners, and community alike. Additionally, each participant is still required to self-quarantine for two weeks prior to the start of the program.
Q: If my child has been offered a position this summer with P-CREW, when do we have to give an answer? Can the answer change?
A: We are moving forward with offering students positions for the summer but understand this is on an “ideal” basis. We would like a clear answer within two weeks of your child being offered a position. We will remain as flexible as we can and work with each individual as needed.
“Yes, my child will join if the program is running.” or
“No, I’m not comfortable with my child participating right now.” or
“Yes, but I need to make a final decision in May.”
Q: What if my child's been exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID-19, but 2 weeks have passed, can they still participate?
A: This answer will become more clear as we determine our capability to test participants and develop Testing Protocols based on the scientific understanding of COVID-19 and health department directives. Our final determination will depend on the current standards and guidelines of local and national health officials and following recommendations provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The following are links to various state and national resources to keep current with COVID-19 status and policies:
US Centers for Disease and Control Prevention (CDC):
World Health Organization (WHO):
California Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response:
Plumas County Public Health Agency:
Lassen County Public Health Agency: